Final Decisions – New Direction

Final Decisions – New Direction

Final decisions are in:

Berkeley: Denied with interview

Tepper: Waitlisted with interview

Rotman: Admitted with scholarship (withdrawn)

Random French School: Admitted to MSc in Management with scholarship (matriculating…maybe)

It’s been eight months since I started my MBA admissions journey and I’ve learnt so much thus far. I am glad I tried for schools beyond my reach and know now that they are actually within my reach.

I could choose to apply again in Round 1 and do this all over again from a position of insight but really, I would be setting myself up for failure a second time because I am still the same person, no new job, no new position, no new experiences, no new achievements, no new GPA. Even if I could get in this time, I wouldn’t want to be a pity admit or borderline diversity shoo-in. I want a seat in a class with amazing people who I can look at as equals…plus I’m not willing to take the risk and lose another year.

I want to take some time to develop myself, start another company or lead a division of a multi-national, get an advanced degree, start a humanitarian project, invest in my hobbies and see a different part of the world before I begin my MBA at a top 10 school.

At that point, I may not need an MBA anymore but I would’ve achieved more than I had set out for myself which is really the end-game, not a three-letter acronym.

Even though I did not get into a top 20 MBA program this year, this application process has been very transformational. It has helped me clarify my goals and identify a completely new path, one that is closer to my true nature and destiny (This is just too weird, even for me).

I’m still pretty young so I may be back here in 4 years applying again and by that time, every single one of you would be doing great things hopefully.

Don’t get me wrong, it hurts that I didn’t get into Haas. I wish I had gotten in and Berkeley had made me awesome right off the bat but I didn’t. Plan A didn’t work out so now I have to focus on nailing the heck out of Plan B.


So onwards to international self development. No MBA at least for now. We’ll see how the next three months turns out.






Haas Interview Invite! Some Light In The Long Long Tunnel

Haas Interview Invite! Some Light In The Long Long Tunnel

I sank into a sea of depression after I discovered I was waitlisted at Tepper. I had turned down my Rotman offer and only had the waitlist offer to hold on to.

I panicked.

I wasn’t going to let my future depend on one yes or no decision so I applied to every decent program that was still open for applications.

Canada, France, Germany, Belgium, …I sent in apps for masters programs in 6 different schools.

What a rollercoaster!

After checking the status of my Haas application obsessively everyday after it went under review, I got an interview invite the day after the deposit deadline for Round 2 and I’m like…


God bless that sweet African girl who probably got admitted to Stanford and didn’t put a deposit down at Haas.

I got the invite a week to Round 3 decisions which is quite late. It’s scheduled just 3 days to the Round 3 decision date so I hope it goes well. If it doesn’t, well I’ve already gone through my stages of grief and accepted the possibility that I may not be doing my MBA this year.

I did get admitted to a business school in Belgium that organises treks to Silicon Valley for their masters degree students, so that’s something.

The invite from Berkeley does make me wonder if I could have gotten an invite at Harvard or Stanford GSB if I had applied. I guess we’ll never know.